BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST
JOB GOAL: To assist Special Services Director and the school sites working with staff district wide to develop understanding of a variety of methods and strategies to improve student behavior.
- Valid Arizona Teaching Certificate
- Demonstrated understanding of federal and state special education laws
- Demonstrated understanding of inclusive education and differentiated instruction
- Demonstrated understanding of behavior management techniques and methods
- Evidence of independent decision-making skills.
- Evidence of collaborative skills.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Director and/or Assistant Director of Special Services
Responsibilities are determined in part by the goals and objectives outlined by the Special Services Strategic Plan. They shall include, but not be limited to:
- Has an understanding of effective behavioral practices throughout each of the tiers in the Multi-Tiered System of Supports.
- Is able to effectively support the implementation and sustaining of Positive Behavior Intervention Supports (PBIS)
- Provides effective classroom support for students with significant behavioral challenges.
- Coordinates record keeping and reporting as required.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism.
- Provides classroom support consistent with the goals of Special Services in the Cartwright School District. This may include co-planning with teachers, and providing resources.
- Work side-by-side with teachers to empower the to be able to assess students’ needs and to improve student behavior.
- To develop and facilitate the implementation of behavior intervention plans.
- Provide functional behavioral assessments.
- Provide home/school behavior intervention support models.
- Provide staff development focusing on students with difficult behaviors and related topics.
- Provide intervention for students with difficult behaviors with approval of the Director of Special Services.
- Consult with Director of Special Services on Alternative Education placements.
- Support principals with discipline related issues.
- Participates in staff development activities such as content workshops, summer institutes and monthly meetings.
- Assists in providing training for all certified and classified instructional staff on Positive Behavioral Supports.
- Continues own professional development through at least the following activities: involvement in professional organizations; attendance and presentation at professional conferences; facilitation of colleague visits and school visitations; preparation of publications, and continuous professional reading. Stays informed on all matters of importance related to student achievement and program evaluation.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Keeps current of best practices and research through professional articles, etc., for Program enhancement.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment year is nine (9) months. Opportunities for additional work may be available, prior to, during intersessions,or following the school year
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Thursday, March 30, 2017 OR UNTIL FILLED
CONTACT PERSON: Cartwright School District
Becky Banks, Human Resources (623) 691-3911
Fax:(623) 691-4079 Becky.Banks@csd83.org