Van Driver (Internal Only)
Van Driver (Interal Only)
Operates school vans in a manner that transports student(s) safely and in accordance with scheduled routes. Performs vehicle pre-trip inspection, fueling and minor vehicle maintenance to assure student/public safety and to protect district assets. This is a safety sensitive position.
Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge and abilities.
- High School diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Prior driving experience preferred.
- Valid Arizona driver’s license without infractions.
- First Aid and CPR certificates.
This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed. In other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the position.
- Drives a school van on assigned daily routes and on field trips.
- Reports unruly student activities, loitering and vandalism, safety, sanitary and fire hazards to the Transportation Department.
- Cleans, washes and fuels District van.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections.
- Maintains mileage records and daily logs.
- Reviews assigned van routes; notifies office of inconsistencies or needed changes.
- Transports students daily as assigned.
- Documents discipline problems and writes van conduct reports.
- Performs additional related duties as assigned.
- May require driving duties outside of city limits.
- Knowledge and ability to comply with safety procedures.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge of: (General knowledge required; will be trained upon specific after hire.)
- Principles and practices of safe school vehicle operation.
- School routes.
- State and local law pertaining to school van operation
- English language to provide answers to routine inquiries, to explain safety procedures and to communicate with others in obtaining information
- Safely operate a school van.
- Pass annual physical, drug and alcohol tests.
- Pass random and or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol tests.
- Maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents and administrators.
- Make decisions in a variety of situations regarding priorities and effectively handling emergencies.
Ability to physically bend, climb, stoop, kneel, lift 60 pounds and reach to load and unload disabled students and/or move students for safety or in emergency situations.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
REPORTS TO: Site Administrator
CALENDAR: 9 Month
BEGINNING SALARY: $14.19
BENEFITS: As approved by the Governing Board
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Until filled